Sep 032015
 

Matt and I knew that when we bought a new house there were various items that would need to be upgraded.  Our bedroom furniture is on that list.  We are currently in possession of my childhood furniture set.  However, this set did not come with bedside tables so a few years ago I bought some cheap side tables from Walmart.  We couldn’t have anything too large in our old room at the townhouse.  These fit nicely even though they were cheap.

Since we moved I’ve been randomly keeping my eye out for various pieces of furniture.  Hence the dining room table sans chairs right now. 😉 About two weeks ago I was on FB on one of the buy, sell, trade sites I follow and someone posted a set of small chests for $120.00.  I commented for dimensions and said I would be interested if the first deal fell through.  The next day I received a PM from the lady.  The chests were available, and they were just about the right size!  I im’ed Matt and he said “whatever”!  I PM’ed the lady back, asked if she would take $100.00 for the pair and the next day I went to pick them up.  They weren’t in perfect condition but they were in good condition.  I just needed to decide on a paint color and I was in business.

For a while now, I’d been looking at new chests.  The only problem was that most of the new chests were 1) more than I wanted to spend and 2) too tall.  Our bed is pretty low so we needed chests that were under 30″ tall.  Most new chests are several inches over 30 which I knew Matt would complain about.  The used chests came in right at 28″ tall which makes them only a few inches taller than the bed and not uncomfortable while reaching up from the bed.

The weekend I got the chests, Matt and I ran to Lowes to look at paint colors.  I ended up choosing Morning Fog by Sherwin Williams.  It’s a really pretty light greyish blue color.  I was a little worried there wouldn’t be enough contrast between that and the wall color but decided to just go with it.  First I primed the chests and drawers with Kilz.  Then over the next few days I painted the chests, and then the drawers.  Within a week I had everything done.  (Which was kind of shocking!) Originally I had planned to use the pulls that were on the chest and just spray paint them but then I realized almost all of them were pulling apart and Matt didn’t really think he could fix them.  I searched on Amazon and fell in love with some antique looking glass knobs but they were $17.00 for a set of 4.  I would need 12 and I wasn’t sure I really wanted to spend $50.00 on knobs.  In the end, that’s exactly what I ended up doing.  The chests were really cheap so I figured I could splurge a little on knobs.

For just over $150.00, I was able to get us new bedside tables and they turned out AMAZING! The knobs really add a little something and the color blends nicely with the room.  Seeing how well these turned out, kind of makes me what to buy the Hurdal dresser and chest from IKEA, paint them and add the same knobs. (Side note, we saw these at IKEA and they are quite large and sturdy which is the only reason I’m really considering them.) That would redo our whole bedroom (chests included) for under $1000.00.  I told Matt I’m not really ready to take on this project but it might happen soonish. 😉

image3 (3)

Before: Our small crappy little tables.

image2 (4)

The chests before, during, my knobs, and after.

 Posted by at 4:03 pm  Tagged with: , , ,

  One Response to “Flea market find!”

  1.  

    As always you did a fabulous job!! They look great!

 Leave a Reply

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

(required)

(required)