web analytics
The making of a craft room

The making of a craft room

When we picked our new house I knew I was going to make one of the bedrooms into a craft room.  Matt was getting an office and I wanted a craft room.  We had the space so I decided to use the bedroom next to the the master.  It’s the only bedroom not connected to a bathroom and I wasn’t keen on having a bedroom right next to our bedroom/bathroom so this was the perfect space.

For months I searched and searched for a desk.  I found one at Ikea but due to the shipping costs I kept looking.  Then I found one on Amazon that was similar and ordered it.  Thanks to UPS, the desk was left in the rain by our garage, not on our front porch, and the desk was ruined.  I shipped it back and continued the search.  I also realized that one and the one from Ikea would have been too small for the space so it worked out.

I still hadn’t found anything when my mom called one day to tell me that her work was getting rid of their display tables.  Employees would be able to purchase them for $20.00.  I knew it was just a wooden table but for $20.00 I told her to get me one.  Turns out it will work great for a craft table.

I decided to be lazy and not actually strip or sand the table down.  I bought some Kilz instead and used that as my base.  Next I painted the table with 2-3 coats of paint.  I decided to use our trim color since it wasn’t quite white.  I thought a bright white table might clash.  I’m really glad I used the trim color to be honest.  Everything flows nicely.

Since the table was going to be used for crafts I thought it might be a good idea to put a top coat on the top.  Boy, that was a mistake!  I bought a spray clear coat.  I did several light coats but the finish wasn’t glossy like it was supposed to but so I decided to put it on a little heavier.  Well the damn stuff turned yellow, the can said it wouldn’t turn yellow!  Grrr!  So I ended up having to sand the top down to the gloss off so I could then add another coat of paint.  In the end it turned out fine but it was kind of a pain.

Before, with Julio photobomb

 

Fast forward a few days.  The table has finally been painted and I ask Matt to help me get it into my craft room.  Well I didn’t measure the table.  Whoops.  After about 20 mins of trying every possible way to get the table in Matt decided it wouldn’t fit.  Okay so that’s not really an option.  I immediately told him to cut the feet off.  He was hesitant at first but we took the table back downstairs and on the front porch he sawed off the bottom few inches.  I found some casters to replace the feet with and I think everything will be fine now.  This will also allow me to move the table around should I need or want to.

The chair for my craft room has been a little less dramatic.  I found the cutest chair at the Flea Market a few months ago.  It just needed a little paint and some new fabric.  I’ve been on the hunt for fabric since I found it.

Over the weekend I was able to get the chair painted with the hope that it would make finding a fabric a little easier. Well today was the day.  I was going back through my fabric board on Pinterest and finally decided to order one.  I think it will look really nice on the chair.  It should be here in a week or so.  If I like the fabric, I’ll do a quick review on the fabric store I used.

IMG_4849.JPG
Chair before paint. Notice the brass tips on the feet. I’m going to spruce those up with a little more gold paint.

 

IMG_4858.JPG
Chair after paint. I need to add the gold.

 

craft chair fabric
Fabric for the chair seat.

I still have more work to do but this is the start.

~k

 

One thought on “The making of a craft room

  1. This is such a great idea!! I am needing to do something similar but instead of for crafts I am needing more of a make-up desk/table type thing. Instead of getting something new I want to do something similar to this.

Leave a Reply to Amie Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *